Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Green Father's Day


With Father's Day fast approaching, I was desperately searching for a great gift that was different from anything Stephen would suspect. I got on google and searched for "green father's day gifts" and came up with a lot of links. I then checked everything out. No, I was not willing to pay $98 for a hemp briefcase, or $40 for a hemp necktie. Nor did I want to get an organic cotton white, button down, collar shirt for work. Where's the fun in that?

Then I began thinking...

We really don't need anymore "stuff" in the house. Buying a Father's Day gift (which Stephen informed me was not necessary, but I want to be prepared incase I'm not awake enough to cook him a fabulous breakfast in bed...) would just add to the stuff in our home; the stuff we have been trying to clear out for ages. So I had to come up with something different. Something he wouldn't use once or twice and then forget about.

Then I discovered Terrapass. Terrapass is an idea to help off-set your carbon emissions. You calculate the emissions from your travel (car, bus, plane, etc.) When you buy a TerraPass, your money funds renewable energy projects such as wind farms. These projects result in verified reductions in greenhouse gas pollution. And these reductions counterbalance your own emissions. I thought that was pretty neat. Plus, we get a nice bumper sticker and thing for the window promoting this idea and some more info on renewable energy.

There are many other "green" companies you can support, but I totally loved the idea of giving money that would fund renewable energy projects.

(Stephen promised he would not read this blog until AFTER Father's Day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment